Ga direct naar inhoud

The Bear Inn

Door 23 locals aangeraden · Geschatte prijs 1 van 4 ·

Tips van locals

November 21, 2019
One of the oldest pubs in UK Very quaint
November 13, 2019
The oldest pub in Oxford!
Penny & Sinclair
Penny & Sinclair
November 8, 2019
The Bear Inn (or just "The Bear") is one of the oldest pubs in Oxford, England, dating back to 1242. Its circa-17th century incarnation stands on the corner of Alfred Street and Blue Boar Street, opposite Bear Lane in the centre of Oxford, just north of Christ Church. The earliest mention of the…
June 10, 2019
Oxford's oldest pub which just oozes character. They have been serving since 1242! For me it is a must do.
September 27, 2018
The Bear Inn has the proud distinction of being Oxford’s oldest surviving pub, whose history can be traced back as early as 1242. The site has undergone many physical reincarnations and the pub, as it currently stands, was rebuilt in the early 17th century as the residence of the coaching inn’s…

Unieke dingen om te doen in de buurt

Accommodaties in de buurt

Andere aanbevelingen van locals

  • Door 4 locals aangeraden
Travel Agency
“The Folly restaurant occupies a unique riverside position in the heart of Oxford, a stones throw from the Westgate centre but beside the beauty of the River Thames. Our restaurant provides simply served, excellently cooked dishes crafted from the freshest seasonal ingredients. The restaurant's terrace floats on the waters of the River Thames as she runs gently under Folly Bridge. Inside we give a warm welcome throughout the year and offer relaxed drinks and dining from Sunday lunch to Saturday cocktails and everything in between.”
  • Door 10 locals aangeraden
Sublocality Level 1
“Wolvercote is a village that is part of the City of Oxford, England. It is about 3 miles (5 km) northwest of the city centre, on the northern edge of Wolvercote Common, which is itself north of Port Meadow and adjoins the River Thames. The Domesday Book of 1086 lists the village as Ulfgarcote (cottage of Woolgar; or Woolgar's place). The toponym had become "Wolvercote" by 1185. Wolvercote housing faced onto its extensive commons, which provided much of the community's livelihood. Some residents still have ancient rights on the commons. Geese rearing was once an important local activity, and a goose is still one of the village symbols. Horses and cattle are still grazed on Wolvercote Common and Port Meadow. In 1789 the Oxford Canal divided the village into two parts, and in 1846 the Oxford and Rugby Railway was built beside the canal through the village. In 1850 the Buckinghamshire Railway was completed through a tunnel and cutting along the eastern edge of Upper Wolvercote. The western edge of Upper Wolvercote parallels the canal at Wolvercote Green and fades into North Oxford suburbia to the east. Lower Wolvercote borders the River Thames at Godstow to the west, and Port Meadow and the canal to the east. The paper mill in Lower Wolvercote, former supplier of paper to the Oxford University Press, was once a major local employer. It was in existence by 1720, when it was bought by the 1st Duke of Marlborough. From 1782 the mill was leased to Oxford printer and publisher William Jackson, proprietor of the local newspaper Jackson's Oxford Journal which was published until 1928. The mill was entirely water-powered until 1811, when a steam engine was installed to power the paper-making process. The engine consumed 100 tons of coal per week, which was brought by narrowboat down the Oxford Canal, along Duke's Cut, and then down the mill stream which at the time was navigable as far as a wharf at the mill. Two of the narrowboats belonged to the mill, having been bought in 1856 and plying between there and the Midlands for 60 years until the mill sold them in 1916.Narrowboats continued to serve Wolvercote until at least the 1950s, by which time the mill used mechanical equipment to unload them.[5] The mill was rebuilt in 1955,ceased paper-making in 1998 and was demolished in 2004. The University of Oxford plans to develop the site as housing for its staff, but rising cost estimates and local objections have led the University to reduce the scale of its plans significantly. The mill stream takes its water from the nearby River Thames, and is crossed in Wolvercote at a former toll-bridge. The bridge bears a plaque in memory of two airmen of the Royal Flying Corps who were killed nearby in a flying accident in 1912. Part of Port Meadow was used as a military airfield in the First World War; the Royal Artillery also had a base there. In 1940, a camp was set up on the meadow for evacuees from Dunkirk. Parish church The Church of England parish church of Saint Peter is in Upper Wolvercote. It has a 14th-century west tower with a 15th-century window and doorway. In 1860 the church except for the tower was demolished, and rebuilt to Gothic revival designs by the architect Charles Buckeridge. The Norman tub font and a 14th-century south window of the chancel were retained, as well as 17th- and 18th-century monuments to the Walter family. Cemetery Wolvercote Cemetery is in the parish on Five Mile Drive between the Banbury Road and Woodstock Road, just north of the Oxford Ring Road. The graves include those of J.R.R. Tolkien and Sir Thomas Chapman, father of T.E. Lawrence. A paper sign in the parish church warns people that Tolkien is not buried in the churchyard, and provides directions to the cemetery. The writer and poet John Wain moved to Wolvercote in 1960.”
  • Door 4 locals aangeraden
“Pub-Restaurant and garden, exclusively veggie and vegan, typical pretty north Oxford location. ”
  • Door 11 locals aangeraden
“Not cheap but the biggest and best range of organic fare - lovely to wander round anyway! ”
  • Door 8 locals aangeraden
6 Alfred Street
Oxford, OX1 4EH
Telefoonnummer01865 728164
Status openingstijdenGesloten · Gaat om 11:00 AM open
Zitgelegenheid buiten
Brunch, lunch, diner
Mogelijk gemaakt door Foursquare