Door 12 locals aangeraden ·
Tips van locals
Thessaloniki's New Esplanade is a must visit place, especially at night where the lights do their magic, creating a great atmosphere by the sea.
walking to the seafront of Thessaloniki is a must. Preferable time the sunset.
Another signature spot of Thessaloniki. Great place for photographs and enjoy the sunset.
Giorgos Zongolopoulos' sculpture Umbrellas is one of the artist's most well-known iconographic motifs. Umbrellas are located at Thessaloniki's New Beach, at the height of the statue of Alexander the Great, near the Macedonian Museum of Modern Art, at the entrance of the Macedonian Museum of…
In 2013 an important project was finally completed! The renowned architects Nikephoridis and Cuomo performed a small architectural and aesthetic miracle by creating a single, unified waterfront that is harmonically incorporated into Thessaloniki’s urban web!Twelve beautiful thematic parks along with…
Unieke dingen om te doen in de buurt
Accommodaties in de buurt
Andere aanbevelingen van locals
“The Heptapyrgion (Ancient Greek: Ἑπταπύργιον), modern Eptapyrgio (Επταπύργιο), also popularly known by its Ottoman Turkish name Yedi Kule (Γεντί Κουλέ), is a Byzantine and Ottoman-era fortress situated on the north-eastern corner of the Acropolis of Thessaloniki in Greece. Despite its name, which in both languages means "Fortress of Seven Towers", it features ten, and was probably named after the Yedikule Fortress in Constantinople (modern Istanbul, Turkey). It served as the major redoubt of the city's acropolis, as well as the seat of its garrison commander in Ottoman times, until the late 19th century. It was then converted to a prison (Φυλακές Επταπυργίου), which remained open until 1989. References to the infamous Yedi Kule prison abound in the Greek rebetika songs. Restoration and archaeological work began in the 1970s and continues to this day.”
- Door 16 locals aangeraden
“The Hebrard plan for the reconstruction of Thessaloniki after the big fire of 1917 predicted the extension of Aristotelous to the north, to create a large administrative center. During the excavations (1962) for the construction of the city courthouse, the ruins of the Roman Agora (Forum) were discovered. The area was listed as an archaeological site. It was revealed that during the Roman period, the Agora stretched in an area of 5 acres and included services such as a documents archive, mint and a conservatory-meeting hall. On its south side, there was a domed arcade, most likely used as a public warehouse. Attached to the gallery, there were shops which survived until the 13th century, according to the sources. At the southeastern part of the findings lies a complex of baths, which is particularly important as the oldest surviving edifice of the late Hellenistic city. During the Byzantine period, the area of the ancient market declined. After the Sultan invited the persecuted Jews of Spanish descent to come reside in Thessaloniki, it was allocated to them to inhabit.”
- Door 20 locals aangeraden
“The idea of building a Jewish Museum of Greece was first conceived in the 1970’s by members of the Jewish Community of Athens, who offered every kind of assistance towards the realisation of this dream. The Museum was first established in 1977 and housed in a small room next to the city’s synagogue. It housed objects salvaged from WW II, whether artefacts, documents and manuscripts of the 19th and 20th centuries, or the jewellery of the Jews of Thrace that had been seized by the Bulgarians in 1943. The latter had been returned to the Greek government after the abdication of the Bulgarian king and the establishment of a communist regime in the country. The following years saw a thorough and careful collection of material from all the communities of Greece, under the inspired guidance of Nikos Stavroulakis, director of the Museum until 1993. The collection expanded with rare books and publications, textiles, jewellery, domestic and religious artifacts, thanks to the interest of several individuals. The Museum soon began to attract the attention of many visitors, researchers and donors. In 1981, the Association of American Friends was founded, followed, a little later, by the Association of Friends of the Jewish Museum of Greece, with members of the Jewish Communities of Athens and Thessaloniki. As the Museum’s collection grew and its activities expanded, it soon outgrew its first premises and new ones had to be found. In 1984, it moved to a rented space occupying the 3rd floor of 36, Amalias Avenue. The exhibition was reorganised into thematic units covering the interests of its various visitors. After years of efforts, the Museum acquired its legal status in 1989, as a non-profit foundation with a seven-member Board of Directors. In the following years the Museum’s activities expanded; they involved both the research and study of the Greek Jews – in collaboration with other foundations and researchers from Greece and abroad – and publishing. At the same time, its collection was being continuously enriched with new acquisitions from all over Greece, greatly exceeding all expectations. The increasing needs of the Museum for more space, together with the dream of sometime having its own premises, led to the purchase of a 19th century neoclassical building, with the support of its Friends in Greece and abroad, the Jewish Community of Thessaloniki and the Central Board of Jewish Communities in Greece. With substantial financial support from the Greek Ministry of Culture and the Associations of its Friends, the old building was renovated and, in late 1997, twenty years after it first opened its doors to the public, the Museum moved to 39 Nikis street, its new address in the centre of Athens. On March 10th, 1998, the new building of the JMG was inaugurated and a new area begun for the Museum. In the following years it developed significantly and extended all its activities, and especially the educational ones. Also, it improved its visitors services and conducted thorough research efforts, the results of which were communicated through several temporary exhibitions and special publications. Contact and communication with the public and international relations and activities of the JMG, signal an extensive social and scientific information and influence exchange. ”
- Door 11 locals aangeraden
“A Day at the museum In the Museum the visitor can visit the 11 galleries of the permanent exhibition and can travel back to the world of Byzantium through thematic sections concerning the daily private and public life, worship and the burial customs, architecture and art, the commercial and business activity. He/she can discover the continuity and the relationship between past and present. The audiovisual material and the touchscreens, which frame the main exhibition, inform on more special issues. In that way the visitor can have a complete picture of the Museum’s history, of the organization of the exhibition and of the management of the archaeological material, from the excavation to the Museum, until the final presentation. Furthermore he/she can learn things relating to the history of Museums internationally. Alongside, the visitor has the opportunity to visit, throughout the whole year, the temporary exhibitions organized by the Museum in the wing of temporary exhibitions “Kyriakos Krokos”, in the multipurpose hall “Eftychia Kourkoutidou-Nikolaidou”, in the reception hall or in the atrium. The themes of these exhibitions are not related only to the Byzantine period, but by organizing them we try to sensitize the public on issues of history, cultural heritage and art and on daily life of different societies and cultures. Moreover, the visitor can follow, free of charge, by using the entrance ticket, the thematic guided tours titled “An exhibit is narrating…” by an archaeologist of the Museum. Based on a sole exhibit or on a group of exhibits, the guided tour is preceded by a short film on the subject, shown at the auditorium “Melina Mercouri” (1st cycle: Weapons and diplomacy, 2nd cycle: Clothing and textiles). For the blind people and people with limited vision we have a leaflet in Braille script (Greek-English), a special shaped outdoor exhibition with marmor artifacts and a program of audio-haptic guided tour through the Museum’s permanent exhibition titled “Touch and be acquainted with Byzantium” in three languages (English, German, Russian) and in Greek. Moreover we provide a special brochure for the escort. All these are free of charge by the use of entrance ticket. The Museum implements various Educational Programs directed at students of kindergartens, Primary and Secondary Schools, teachers, adults, families and people with special needs. For each target group different activities are organized. Moreover there are special leaflets for the teachers, which help them to organize their own educational visits. Every year our Museum participates in all the activities of national, Europe-wide and international range. These are the “Museums’ Night”, the “International Day of Museums”, the “European Days of Cultural Heritage”, the Full Moon of August, the "Green Cultural Routes”, the Nationwide Campaign of the Association of Greek Archaeologists e.a. On that occasion the Museum produces films of a special thematic and moreover it organizes guided tours, cultural events, educational workshops, interactive exhibitions, all with free admission for the public. Alongside, we organize and accommodate, throughout the year, actions of scientific, cultural and educational character, of literature and art, such as conferences, seminars, lectures, book presentations, film screenings, music events, in which the participation for the public is free. All the events take place in indoor and outdoor areas of the Museum, in the atrium, in the reception hall and in the two auditoria (“Melina Mercouri” and “Stephanos Dragoumis”). Detailed information about exhibitions, events and educational programs you will find on the website in the fields Educational Programs and News–Events. In the Museum shop (owned by the Archaeological Receipts Fund) the visitor can buy publications related to cultural, archaeological, historical issues, books on art, books for children, replicas of archaeological objects, from the antiquity until the post-Byzantine era, modern constructions inspired by the Museum’s exhibits, clothing, jewelry, practical gifts, toys, posters and postcards e.a. The visitor can also make a pleasant break or close his tour in the café - restaurant "B" of the Museum, which is leased by the Archaeological Receipts Fund. ”
- Door 40 locals aangeraden
“The church of Agios Dimitrios, patron saint of Thessaloniki, is located at the centre of the city, on Agios Dimitrios street, over the Ancient Agora and consists undoubtedly its most important Early Christian monument, both due to religious and historical reasons. The early Christian basilica was built in the area where in the Roman Period was a complex of public baths. According to traditions, it was in these baths that Agios Dimitrios was imprisoned and martyred with a spear. At this location, after the Edict of Milan regarding religious tolerance in 313, a small church was built over the saint’s tomb. Soon believers from all over started to arrive and pray at the saint’s tomb in order to help them heal from various diseases. Among the pilgrims was the Prefect of Illyricum Leontius, who after being healed and to show his gratitude to Agios Dimitrios built a new, more impressive church in its place. They transferred the saint’s tomb there from the baths and they placed it in a ciborium in the middle aisle. Today the renovated marble ciborium is at the northern aisle. The 5th century church was destroyed by an earthquake in 620 and was rebuilt in the middle of the 7th century according to the standards of the older church. The church was an important pilgrimage centre throughout the Byzantine Period and Agios Dimitrios became the patron saint of the Balkans. In 1493, after the occupation of Thessaloniki by the Turks, the church was converted into a mosque (Kasimiye Camii). Christian worship was limited then at a small area on the northwestern of the church, where they made the saint’s cenotaph. It was returned in Christian hands in 1912, after the liberation of the city. However, in the great fire in 1917 the church was largely destroyed. Its restoration lasted until 1949. ”
- Door 44 locals aangeraden