Ga direct naar inhoud
)
Restaurant

Fisk Seafood Bar Downings

Door 2 locals aangeraden

Tips van locals

Kai
Kai
August 26, 2019
Great fish dishes. No reservations. Show up and tell them you are there. The harbour bar is next door.
Sally Anne
Sally Anne
July 9, 2019
Next door to the Harbour Bar, this is an all-in destination for good food, drink and beautiful views of the ocean.

Andere aanbevelingen van locals

Bar
“Glen:- IF YOU WANT A SPECIAL TREAT and go for a little fine dining This restaurant is my favourite . The pub alone is worth visit, in a hamlet in the middle of nowhere, its a great find, The Olde Glen Bar is one of Donegal's Oldest (Circa 1768) & most famous Bar & Restaurant. Full of old world charm & character. The Olde Glen Bar serves up a generous Gin & Whiskey list and delicious local beers on tap. There are open fires, live music and always plenty of craic. The Restaurant can be very busy so to avoid disappointment call 083 1585 777to book the restaurant Glen Bar 12:00 noon - 11.30pm Monday - Sunday (Open everyday) Restaurant Hours 6:00pm - 9:00pm Tuesday - Sunday (Closed Mondays)”
  • Door 7 locals aangeraden
Point of Interest
“The castle was built in the 15th century. Sometimes the date given is 1425. The first or early occupants were the MacSweeneys. The Castle remained in their possession for about 200 years. The MacSweeneys ruled the areas of Rosguill (now Downings & Carrigart). Doe (now Creeslough & Dunfanaghy) Cloughaneely (now Falcarragh) and Tory Island, from Doe Castle. Sir Cahir O'Doherty had his headquarters here when he attacked Derry in 1608. The MacSweeneys are back by 1641 and Eoghan Rua O'Neill landed at Doe Castle on 6th July 1642 on his return from Spain. Around 1660 an English garrison take possession of the castle but by the 1690's the MacSweeneys are back. The Castle changed hands many times over the years. One of the owners: George Vaghan Harte who bought the castle in 1800 left his initials (GVH) embedded on the wall above the door of the eastern entrance. The Castle was occupied up until 1909. In 1932 the Irish Land Commission (Office of Public Works) bought the Castle and vested it as a National Monument. The work to restore the castle to it former glory is ongoing. Many legends and stories are told about the castle and the people that lived there. Turlough Aileen was the fair and sweet daughter of Maolmhuire of Doe. Turlough was an O'Boyle from Ballymore. Turlough often went hunting deer in Duntally woods. It was there he first met sweet Aileen of Doe. The O'Boyles and the MacSweeneys hated each other, but Aileen and Turlough were very much in love. When Malomhuire heard of the attachment , he was furious and confined Aileen to the top room in the Castle Tower. Turlough would often go fishing on the Lackagh River in the hope of seeing Aileen. While he was out fishing the MacSweeneys captured him and took him back to the Castle. One night Aileen looked out the window and to her horror saw the dead body of her beloved Turlough being prepared for burial. At the sight Aileen jumped from the tower to her death. To this day the ghost of Turlough and Aileen rowing their boat on Lackagh River can still be seen.”
  • Door 3 locals aangeraden
Pub
“Our favourite pub in Letterkenny. There is often live music and a great atmosphere.”
  • Door 5 locals aangeraden
Hotel
“The Tap Room is the culmination of this thinking, with three local businesses – Kinnegar Brewing, Sacarpello & Co and Rathmullan house, working in unison to provide a memorable dining experience. The focus here is on real stone baked pizzas courtesy of Scarpello & Co. from the outdoor wood fired pizza oven, plus a selection of Irish craft beers on tap from Kinnegar Brewery.”
  • Door 10 locals aangeraden
Establishment
  • Door 2 locals aangeraden
Locatie
County Donegal, F92 XR53
Status openingstijdenNu gesloten