Ervaringen met vervoer in Amsterdam
These information pages can help you get started in learning about some of the laws and registration requirements that may apply to your experiences on Airbnb. These pages include summaries of some of the rules that may apply to different sorts of activities, and contain links to government resources that you may find helpful.
Please understand that these information pages are not comprehensive, and are not legal advice. If you are unsure about how local laws or this information may apply to you or your Experience, we encourage you to check with official sources or seek legal advice.
Please note that we don’t update this information in real time, so you should confirm that the laws or procedures have not changed recently.*
Do I need a license to drive my guests to and from my experience?
Yes. People who want to drive others have to ensure they follow these rules:
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- You have a valid current driver's license.
- Your vehicle is registered with the Department of Road Transport (RWD) and it is in perfect shape and you have complied with the APK rules.
- Your have obtained the correct parking permits and follow all regulations.
- You have all the necessary insurance policies in place.
If guests are not paying for a ride, a taxi license is in principle not required. However, providing private car transportation against payment as part of an Experience will likely be considered a tax service for which a license is required under the Dutch Passenger Transportation Act (Wet personenvervoer, 2000). Please see also this web page from the government on taxi transportation.
What if I transport guests by boat?
Amsterdam has long been a city of boating for pleasure and transportation. With this boating culture come special rules and regulations for boat transportation and mooring. Similar as with automobiles, Amsterdam has rules for boats about speed limits, licensing, registration, mooring requirements, and harbor fees. A general guide for boating can be found here and here.
During rush hour, some of the common water routes may be affected by bridge closures. When taking guests through the waterways of Amsterdam, these official maps of routes and bridge hours can be helpful. You may also find the Waternet app useful with popular routes through the city, up-to-date information about the waterways and opening times of bridges and locks.
The waterways are monitored by police and are managed by the Waternet to keep the waterways safe and navigable for all. Failure to comply with the rules and regulations can result in fines, boat impoundment, and the possibility of a custodial sentence. More information on safe navigation and sailing rules can also be found on this website.
Do I need any special transportation licenses for boat tours?
Yes. Those wishing to host guests as part of a boat transportation experience will need to have the proper license as well as follow the regulations for the boat itself. Boats must be registered with the city of Amsterdam and meet all specifications by Waternet. Rules on noise, alcohol usage, cruising the waterways, and guidelines for travelling through the locks and bridges also apply. Here is a helpful document from Waternet, and here is more information on boating guidelines.
What happens if I don’t get the licence(s) or registration(s) that I need?
If you do not obtain the appropriate licences or registrations, you should not drive guests in your boat. You may be subject to fines or other sanctions if you don’t obtain the proper licenses.
Is there anything else I should think about?
Commercial passenger ship license guidelines can be quite detailed, so we recommend you look at special requirements that may apply to your experience. Information regarding the types of licenses and their tests are discussed here.
In any event, it’s good to check the terms of your insurance policy to make sure it covers your Experience.
Helpful suggestions can be found on the “varen doe je samen” website.
*Airbnb is not responsible for the reliability or correctness of the information contained in any links to third party sites (including any links to legislation and regulations).
- Host van ervaringErvaringen waarbij alcohol wordt geschonken in LondenAirbnb-ervaringen organiseren is leuk, maar voor sommige activiteiten geldt een aantal verplichtingen en regels. Daarom hebben we wat nuttig…
- Host van ervaringErvaringen met vervoer in SeattleAirbnb-ervaringen organiseren is leuk, maar voor sommige activiteiten geldt een aantal verplichtingen en regels. Daarom hebben we wat nuttig…
- Host van ervaringErvaringen waarbij alcohol wordt geschonken in Brits-ColumbiaAirbnb-ervaringen organiseren is leuk, maar voor sommige activiteiten geldt een aantal verplichtingen en regels. Daarom hebben we wat nuttig…